Thursday 23 January 2014

Steampunk Clipboard

Before I headed off to Craftanoon last Saturday, I had a look in my 'projects' box to see what I could take with me and maybe have the time to do something with it.  In my stash I found this clipboard, which is about A5 size, along with three mini clipboards and two frames.  Quickly looking in my Graphic 45 papers I grabbed the 8" x 8" 'Steampunk Spells' as it is a collection that quite appeals to me.

As luck would have it, the Dizzy Izzy girls had a layout challenge for anyone who wanted to take part and so I decided this would be perfect for this clipboard.


There was a main image, a smaller one to the side, and to the side of that were a number of triangles.  Beneath these images were random splotches.  Below the main image was words or sentiments and below that again, were a couple of small places for decoration.

I chose the background paper and cut it just slightly larger than the clipboard, then completely covered the clipboard with a glue-stick and stuck the paper on making sure there were no wrinkles or creases.  I sanded the paper down and around the clipboard before going around the edges with 'black soot' Distress Ink.  Next I spritzed Heidi Swap 'teal' colour shine mist in random splotches for added colour.


I fussy cut the steampunk lady placing her as the main image, then cut out a journalling card and then the title.  The triangles have straight sides but if the images went outside my lines, then I trimmed around the image instead.   Once I was happy with the placement of the various pieces, I glued them all down.  I had thought to layer the lady but since this was a clipboard and I didn't want her damaged if the clipboard is actually used as a clipboard, I decided against this idea.

As my clipboard wasn't quite big enough for adding the bits below the sentiments I decided to leave this out.


So, with a bit of measuring, fussy cutting and moving things around just a wee bit, this is how my finished clipboard looks.  The remaining mini clipboards and frames went back into my 'projects' box for another day.

I'll be back again tomorrow to show what else I made at Craftanoon.  This was such a relaxing, fun day and I managed to achieve what I had taken to play with, so all in all, I was quite pleased with the whole day.

Happy crafting!

1 comment:

  1. Three cheers for your fussy cutting skills, Helen! This actually turned out perfectly. When working with several elements, it just not as simple as just sticking them onto your background. A lot of moving and shaking goes on to create just the right atmosphere for those elements. I find this especially true when working with the so-cool steampunk elements! Well done! Mwah! KayW

    ReplyDelete

Any messages (so long as they are positive [hehehe!] ) gratefully received!